WTM 4500: Ultra Efficient, High Capacity Space Diversity links for the toughest deployment challenges
The WTM 4500 is a new configuration option for Aviat’s market-leading WTM 4000 all-outdoor, high-capacity microwave platform. It specifically addresses applications that require ultra-reliable links over long and difficult paths, such as over flat desert terrains or over large bodies of water, where highly reflective conditions can play havoc with a microwave link, potentially causing extended outages.
The usual method to counter these adverse conditions is to deploy links with space diversity, where a second receiving antenna enables the automatic selection of the best and error-free received signal. This normally requires the deployment of a complete second radio at each end of the link, increasing costs, tower loading and installation complexity.
WTM 4500 makes use of the platform dual transceiver architecture to support a complete space diversity terminal in a single radio unit. This enables ultra-high capacity, space diversity links to be deployed in the toughest conditions, with up to 1.25 Gbps of capacity or more, thanks to the combination of wide 112 MHz channels, 4096QAM, and multi-layer header compression.
WTM 4500 Highlights:
- Zero-footprint trunking solution
- Long distance links in 6 to 11 GHz
- Integrated space diversity receiver (TRR)
- Up to 1.2 Gbit/s, with 4096QAM/112 MHz channel
- Common platform with WTM 4100/4200
- Halves the amount of equipment needed, compared to N+N SD
- Up to 8+0 or 10 Gbit/s link capacities using 2nd generation Outdoor Branching Unit (OBU)
Link to download Case Study: Digicel and Aviat Establish 166km Link in Papua New Guinea between its Two Largest Cities: